In the last two years, we have seen a significant increase in applications, which is a testament to the growing needs in the region. Although this means we are reaching more people, it also means that the process has become more competitive. We are committed to making the process more accessible.
In the effort to address the rapid changes and needs we have heard about from all of you, and experienced here at MRAC, Fiscal Year 2024 (FY24 – July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024) will be an important transition year for us as we fill vacant staff positions and build up our team, continue to evaluate our programs and our funding distribution, and work on developing new systems for more equitable access to our resources..
Primary changes in FY24:
- We will be awarding slightly more dollars because of the increased sales tax revenue from the state, but will have less programs and deadlines.
- The Flexible Support and Arts Impact for Groups programs will be combined into one program with one deadline. However, we are still setting aside funds for groups with 51% or more of leadership identifying as BIPOC, disabled/people with disabilities and/or LGBTQIA2+.
- Groups with 51% or more of leadership identifying as BIPOC, disabled/people with disabilities and/or LGBTQIA2+ will still be eligible to apply for up to $25,000. Other eligible groups can apply for up to $15,000.
- We are not offering Next Step Fund in FY24, and will continue the program in FY25.
- We are using Submittable as our new grant interface. You will be submitting your application(s) and final report(s) there.
We recognize that this will impact everyone differently, and require some adjustments in the short term, but we believe this will allow us to better serve you in the long term. We will do our best to keep you all informed along the way.
FY24 Grant Programs
MRAC’s grant programs and deadlines for the upcoming fiscal year 2024 (July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024) are as follows:
Arts Impact for Individuals
The Arts Impact for Individuals grant provides up to $5,000 for artistic projects in Minnesota led by individuals who identify as any of the following: Black, Indigenous, and/or a Person of Color (BIPOC); and/or disabled/a person with a disability; and/or Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual/Agender, Two-Spirit (LGBTQIA2+) creating access to the arts for communities and/or engaging with communities through artistic endeavors. Individuals must have a primary address in Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott or Washington county. There is $400,000 available for this program.
Arts Impact for Individuals Dates:
- Application deadline: October 23, 2023
- Panel Review: January 18- February 16, 2024
- Board approval date: March 26, 2024
The Flexible Support grant provides funding to help groups create and sustain Minnesotans’ access to the arts. Projects could include arts programming, and/or projects that strengthen the organizational capacity or operations of groups providing access to the arts.
Flexible Support Dates:
- Application deadline: November 6, 2023
- Panel Review: March 8- April 5, 2024
- Board approval date: April 23, 2024
Because we are combining Arts Impact for Groups into Flexible Support, there is $4,301,763 available for this year’s Flexible Support grant. We have set aside $3,000,000 specifically for groups whose leadership is 51% or more people who identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC); and/or disabled people/people with disabilities; and/or Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual/Agender, Two-Spirit (LGBTQIA2+). These groups may request up to $25,000. Other eligible groups may request up to $15,000.
Stay tuned for grant program details, guidelines in English and Spanish, grant application resources on the MRAC website in multiple formats, opportunities for staff assistance, and more, coming in Fall.