Individual grant programs have specific eligibility requirements. Please read the grant program guidelines thoroughly before starting your application. Applicants are also strongly encouraged to attend a grant application workshop and/or to speak to their program director to ensure eligibility. Visit our staff page to find the appropriate program director for your grant or call our general line at 651-645-0402.
Who Does MRAC Fund?
- Federally tax-exempt nonprofit, non-arts organizations and community education units with annual arts programming expenses of less than $400,000 located in the seven-county metro area.
- Informal and/or unincorporated arts-focused groups and one-time arts projects located in the seven-country metro area with expenses of less than $400,000.
- Informal and/or unincorporated groups must apply using a federally tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit fiscal sponsor located in Minnesota, with the sponsorship agreement formalized on or prior to the deadline. The applicant group must have a board of directors or advisory committee that provides input on the project and oversight of the grant funds.
Who/What Does MRAC Not Fund?
- Applicant groups and/or activities located outside the seven-county metro area of Minnesota.
- For-profit organizations.
- Costs for fundraising events.
- Activities that engage in political lobbying, serve the religious socialization of participants, or discriminate against persons or groups.
How many MRAC grants may a group have at one time?
- Groups may apply to any two of the four project support deadlines (Arts Activities Support or Community Arts) but may receive only one project support award per MRAC fiscal year.
- Eligible groups that have an MRAC-funded project in process may apply for a subsequent grant in the same program if the first project is completed before MRAC’s published “earliest project start date” for the new project. Final reporting requirements must be met before any new funding will be released.
- If all other eligibility requirements are met for the specific grant programs, groups may have (if awarded) one Project Support grant, one Organizational Support or Capital grant, and one Arts Learning grant during each MRAC fiscal year. Please refer to the grant guidelines for program-specific eligibility requirements. Download this pdf for our grant calendar and concurrent grant policies FY18 Grant Deadlines and Overview.