Individual grant programs have specific eligibility requirements. Please read the grant program guidelines thoroughly before starting your application. Applicants are also strongly encouraged to attend a grant application workshop and/or to speak to their program director to ensure eligibility. Visit our staff page to find the appropriate program director for your grant or call our general line at 651-645-0402.
Who Does MRAC Fund?
- Federally tax-exempt nonprofit, non-arts organizations and community education units with annual arts programming expenses of less than $400,000 located in the seven-county metro area.
- Informal and/or unincorporated arts-focused groups and one-time arts projects located in the seven-country metro area with expenses of less than $400,000.
- Informal and/or unincorporated groups must apply using a federally tax-exempt 501(c)(3) nonprofit fiscal sponsor located in Minnesota, with the sponsorship agreement formalized on or prior to the deadline. The applicant group must have a board of directors or advisory committee that provides input on the project and oversight of the grant funds.
Who/What Does MRAC Not Fund?
- Applicant groups and/or activities located outside the seven-county metro area of Minnesota.
- For-profit organizations.
- Artists applying as an individual, except in the Next Step Fund.
- Costs for fundraising events.
- Activities that engage in political lobbying, serve the religious socialization of participants, or discriminate against persons or groups.
How many MRAC grants may a group have at one time?
- Groups may apply to any deadlines for Arts Project Support, but may receive only one grant per MRAC fiscal year.
- Groups may apply for both Organizational Support deadlines (Capital or Organizational Development) but can only receive one Organizational Support award per MRAC fiscal year.
- Groups may apply to both Arts Learning deadlines per year but may receive only one Arts Learning award per MRAC fiscal year.
- Starting with applications received after June 1, 2019, groups may receive two Management Consulting Fund awards per MRAC fiscal year. The project in the first received grant must be complete before applying for a second grant. Prior to June 1, 2019, groups located in Minneapolis or Saint Paul may receive just one Management Consulting Fund award per year.
- Groups may receive up to $600 in the Management Training Funds per MRAC fiscal year.
- Eligible groups that have an MRAC-funded project in process may apply for a subsequent grant in the same program if the first project is completed before MRAC’s published “earliest grant expenditure date” for the new project. Final reporting requirements must be met before any new funding will be released.
- Please refer to the grant guidelines for program-specific eligibility requirements.